Technological and applied studies (TAS) is mandatory for all students in Year 7 and 8. Students can also select from a range of elective TAS subjects.
This faculty aims to inspire students to strive for excellence across a range of design fields, offering an intellectual and practical approach to critical thinking and effective learning in a diverse range of courses. The details of each course are outlined below. Individual and group practical design projects are undertaken i n all courses and students are provided with the opportunity to explore a variety of materials and technologies and develop their creativity.
In TAS, students develop knowledge, understanding and skills through a design and production process using a range of tools, materials and techniques in theory and practical lessons.
The continuum of technology learning is:
- mandated from Kindergarten to Year 8 through Science and Technology K-6 and Technology Mandatory Years 7-8 syllabuses
- based on students becoming increasingly sophisticated in their ability to apply knowledge, skills and understanding to design and produce solutions
- optional for student specialisation in high school through a range of syllabuses addressing particular technologies and aspects of design.
Technology Mandatory (years 7 and 8 - stage 4)
This course provides an understanding of the design process enabling students to manage, interpret, shape and alter their environment to improve their quality of life in the home, workplace and the wider community. Students complete four to six units over difference context areas using a range of materials, tools and techniques. Food, textiles, materials and digital technologies are focus areas for design projects undertaken by students.
Available courses include:
- Technology Mandatory Years 7-8
- Agricultural Technology Years 7-10
- Design and Technology Years 7-10
- Food Technology Years 7-10
- Graphics Technology Years 7-10
- Industrial Technology Years 7-10
- Information and Software Technology Years 7-10
- Textiles Technology Years 7-10
- Agriculture Stage 6
- Design and Technology Stage 6
- Engineering Studies Stage 6
- Food Technology Stage 6
- Industrial Technology Stage 6
- Information Processes and Technology Stage 6
- Software Design and Development Stage 6
- Textiles and Design Stage 6.