East Hills Girls Technology High School

Honor Ante Honores

Telephone02 9773 9160



A spotlight on NDIS funded providers in schools ...

Families may ask  for NDIS funded services to be delivered at school. Principals have discretion to allow (or not) service providers to access school grounds during school time.  An information package is available to support principal decision making, which also includes information sheets for service providers, and parents and carers.

Therapy in schools - what principals need to consider

Requests for NDIS-funded therapy to be provided in school should come from a student’s parent or carer and should be considered by principals on a case by case basis. This can be part of a Learning and Support Team process.

In making this decision, principals need to consider the:

  •  school’s obligations to students with disability under the Disability Standards for Education
  • impact of the service on a student’s access to the curriculum
  • impact of the service on other students
  • ability to maintain the ordinary running of the school for the benefit of all students
  • capacity to observe the services.

More information for principals is in the external provider information package

Therapy in schools - access for NSW Health and FACS employees

If a principal decides therapy can occur at school, the provider must meet a range of legal and policy requirements before they can operate in the school. Access requirements for therapists employed by NSW Health or Family & Community Services (FACS) are simpler – at every visit:

  • the therapist must show their government-issued ID and driver’s licence or RMS proof of identity card to verify their date of birth
  • the school will note the information in the visitor register and check the department’s Not to be Employed database through person search in eCPC.

It is not necessary to photocopy and store these documents. There is also no need for a criminal record check, or to check insurance, or enter an engagement agreement like other service providers seeking school access.

Complaints about NDIS funded service providers

Where a family is unsatisfied with the quality of their child's NDIS supports and services, they can make a complaint to the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission. The Commission can take complaints about:

  • services or supports that were not provided in a safe and respectful way
  • services and supports that were not delivered to an appropriate standard.

Families can make complaints to the Commission by calling 1800 035 544 or using an online complaint contact form

For questions, advice or more information on the NDIS, please contact:

Linda Cormack

NDIS Coordinator

School Services Directorate

Mobile:  0412 744 659

Telephone:  (02) 4633 2700

Email:  Linda.Cormack@det.nsw.edu.au

Website:  https://tinyurl.com/doe-ndis